A lot of followers ask me about my nails and when I explain that I use gel manicure the questions are infinite. So here is a post that will answer all of your doubts either if you’re thinking of getting your nails done, but also if you already have gel manicure, but have a few concerns about your nails’ health.
1. Gel manicures are different from acrylic ones. Acrylic nails are made with a powder dipped in solvent, you usually used them to lengthen the nail or get a stronger top layer over the natural nail. Gels, on the other hand, come in nail polish shades, and are made hard by being cured under a UV or LED lamp.
2. Gels weaken your nail beds, mostly because of the removal process. Many people worry about getting gels because they fear their nails won’t be able to breathe. I still stress about that sometimes, but nails are actually dead to begin with, so they don’t need to breathe! What is really important is actually your nail beds and cuticles because they’re made of living tissue and that’s why you need to be careful.
3. There are ways to remove gels at home safely. If you want to save money or you can’t fit a trip to the salon in your schedule, you can take the gels off yourself. You need 100 percent acetone, or better yet a gel remover you can pick up at any drug store or beauty supply store. Gel remover tends to be more expensive but is formulated to be less harsh than pure acetone. To remove, soak your cotton ball in the acetone or gel remover and place it on top of your nail. Wrap with foil. Then, wrap your hands in a hand towel. When the gel is crumbling or sliding off, gently use a rubber-ended cuticle pusher to clean the gel off of your nail bed. Do not file or scrape!
4. Gels cost anywhere from $35 to well within the hundreds if you prefer fancy nail art. How much you’re going to pay for a gel manicure really depends on where you live, but also what kind of look you want. Basic gel manis with one color start around $35. That’s more than a regular manicure for sure, but they do last at least twice as long.
7. Gels generally last 2-3 weeks. The best part about gel manis is how long they last and that is the main reason why I wear them. I rarely have time to do my nails during the week and I don’t like to not wear nail polish at all. So for 3 weeks I don’t need to worry about my nails because they will always look good. Of course the time it will last will also depend on your body chemistry, the product itself, and how it’s applied. But however long your gel lasts, you’ll love your nails the entire time and you’ll always look presentable!
Follow me on:
Facebook: Tiger On Gold Leash