Yes,the VMAS, the show that makes people talk about Miley when she twerks but not when she decides to raise awareness for runaways and homeless youth.
If you have favourite artists and you don’t want your feelings to get hurt, maybe it’s not a good idea to keep reading this post. Just go do some ice bucket challenges instead.
Here you can have a look at the Red Carpet shots, where Katy Perry showed the world how you’re supposed to enter a Red Carpet and when I called my grandma to tell her that her living room curtains were stolen by Taylor Swift.
We can say that this year the VMAS weren’t as controversial as last year. We had a lot of emotional moments with Beyoncé family scene with baby Blue Ivy and husband Jay-Z, Miley and her homeless date, Ariana holding hands with Big Sean. Oh and when all the girls went crazy once 5 Seconds of Summer hit the stage.
And if annoyance can be considered as an emotion then we definitely must talk about Fifth Harmony and the way they give the world the need to puke. Those girls have amazing voices but damn, I need to close my eyes every time they sing. I don’t know if they’re face is sponsored by MAC cosmetics and they think it’s okay to use their faces as canvas or if the problem is the lack of a fashion adviser. I’m still wondering what was going through Simon Cowell’s mind when he decided to adopt these eight year old brats.
Moving on to some more pleasant moments…
There’s nothing more perfect than Kim announcing Sam Smith. His voice is heaven and even though I love the Kardashians, Kim is probably the only one with presenting skills, if you know what I mean.
Iggy Azalea and Rita Ora were also amazing, but of course, nothing compared to Beyoncé’s Medley at the end.
And because I couldn’t end this post without talking about Taylor Swift, here it goes.
To me an artist is someone who goes on stage and makes me want to be them. Just like Beyoncé makes me want to be able to dance like her or Ariana makes me want to have that voice.
I don’t want to be Taylor because I acted like her years ago when I was still a teenager. The “I don’t know how to dance I’m just having fun” kind of attitude is too overrated. Liking Taylor because of her song lyrics is one thing, liking her because of the way she wants us to think it’s okay to twerk without having an ass is ridiculous. Time to move on Swift.
If you missed the VMAS 2014 go on www.mtv.com and watch the full show or the highlights of the night.
- Video of the year- Miley Cyrus “Wrecking Ball”
- Best Male Video- Ed Sheeran“Sing”
- Best Female Video- Katy Perry feat. Juicy J “Dark Horse”
- Best Pop Video- Ariana Grande feat. Iggy Azalea “Problem”
- Best Rock Video- Lorde “Royals”
- Artist to Watch- Fifth Harmony “Miss movin on” (I would say Artist not to watch and just listen but okay)
- Best Lyric Video- 5 Seconds of Summer “Don’t stop“
- Best Hip-Hop Video-Drake feat. Majid Jordan “Hold on (we’re going home)”
- Best Collaboration- Beyonce feat. Jay Z “Drunk in love“
- MTV Clubland Award- Zedd feat. Hayley Williams “Stay the Night”
- Best Video with a Social Message- Beyonce “Pretty Hurts”
- Best Editing- Eminem “Rap God”
- Best Choreography- Sia “Chandelier”
- Best Direction- DJ Snake & Lil Jon “Turn down for what”
- Best Art Direction- Arcade Fire “Reflektor”
- Best Visual Effects- Ok Go “The writing’s on the wall”
- Best Cinematography- Beyonce “Pretty Hurts”
My favourite tweets of the night
"She's not wearing pants? Fuck it. I won't wear pants either." -every dressing room backstage at the VMA's—
Adam Levine (@adamlevine) August 25, 2014
|Melissa De Sousa Nunes|
Follow me on:
Facebook: Tiger On Gold Leash